Friday, May 21, 2010

I am blogger, see me fly

*
iridescent flash,

hummingbird whirs and flits to

its spider-silk nest

*
*
A splash of haiku for my blogging friends. This post is all about the wonderful people I meet, like Julie Dao, who writes exquisitely and plays violin, too. Thank you, Julie for this pretty Blogger Buddy Award.
*


And thank you to Liza Carens Salerno for the Versatile Blogger. I like that it embraces poems, stories, messages and essays--all of which I enjoy.
Nisa at Wordplay, Swordplay gave me the Silver Lining award, which is all about keeping positive on this writing journey. Since I've snagged that one before, I just say a big thank you to Nisa.
Janet Johnson tagged me with a meme. Now, it's supposed to be all serious and getting-to-know-you and stuff. But I can't help it. I've got to have a bit of fun. So hang your disbelief on the coat rack and grab a cup of coffee.
Where were you five years ago?
I'd been shanghaied off the coast of California and was chained to a work desk in the windowless bowels of a brig. I labored from sunup to sundown forced to write in inverted-pyramid style. It has led to a tendency to spill the beans.
Where would you like to be in five years?
In a tree house in a redwood forest by the sea. I will listen to the woodpeckers drilling and the owls hooting, hear the rustle of breeze through branches, write on a little deck with the horizon shimmering with sun on water.
What's on your to-do list today?
Write the Great American YA Novel. Eat chocolate. Repeat.
What snacks do you enjoy?
See question above.
What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
Start a publishing house and invite you all to submit. Repeat.
*
Lastly, if you haven't checked out the new blog by four debut dystopian authors, you simply must. (News flash just added: Elana Johnson's debut dystopian novel has sold to Simon Pulse!)
And if you've been waylaid in the distant past or far future, here's another news flash: Do the Write Thing for Nashville raised about $74,000! Huge kudos to Myra McEntire, Amanda Morgan and Victoria Schwab.
*
On to the linkage! As you all know, awards and memes are meant to be passed along, and I am a very bad rule follower. This time, I decided to show appreciation to five bloggers newly met and let them choose any or all of the awards they please. And they are free to be creative in what they do with them. In fact, they don't have to do anything at all. Consider this string-free.
But please check out these great folks whose blogs are quite diverse:

27 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

Rule breaking makes it all the more fun! Living in a treehouse doesn't sound half bad. :)

Jackee said...

How cute you are! I loved how you put all your answers. Congrats on the well-deserved awards. :o)

"Start a publishing house and invite you all to submit. Repeat."
I'm all over that, my friend!

Donna said...

Love the wild answers to the getting-to-know you questions, which gives us a hint of who lives in Tricia's imagination.

Char said...

i always love the getting to know you answers. here's to you and the cabin in the woods.

Jo Schaffer said...

Hey, girl--thanks for the shout out and award! (= I will post it proudly and pass it on! (;

Lydia Kang said...

Hey! Thanks for the award! I'm going to check out my fellow award recipients. Love meeting new bloggers. And congrats on your awards!
I like the idea of starting your own publishing house. Wish I'd thought of that!

Unknown said...

Great post, Tricia.

Such fun answers!

Congrats on your awards :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Janet: I'm loving the idea of a tree house.

Jackee: Wouldn't it be cool to publish books by so many great people? Very satisfying.

Donna: It does reveal, doesn't it?

Char: I'm there in spirit already.

Jojomama: Yay!

Lydia: Maybe we'll all band together and do it!

Hi Wendy, thanks!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Tricia, are you going to participate in Bryan's Logline blogfest?

http://timeguardiansaga.com/blog/?p=772

I would like to see what loglines you would write. Roland

larainydays said...

Thanks Tricia! The feelings mutual. Glad to meet you.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Wow! I didn't realize how much those ladies had raised for Nashville. That's totally awesome.

Enjoy your awards and have a great weekend!

Anne Gallagher said...

I love that redwood forest idea. Can I come too? Or how about if I rent the tree down the lane?

kanishk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sarahjayne smythe said...

Great post. Congrats on the awards and great answers to the questions. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Roland: I was unaware of the contest until last night, so I'll have to pass. But I may come to read. It sounds great.

storyqueen said...

Ah yes, the inverted pyramid style!!

I'd love to come and visit you in your tree house....as long as the wood peckers weren't too noisy.

Shelley

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the award(s) (I'm going to be cheeky as all out and take both - fits with my plan to take over blogland mwahahahaha...) and for the Link!!!

Love your answers, btw, especially "Eat Chocolate. Repeat." Totally with you on that.

; )

Jo Schaffer said...

(= Omg
"I don't know what everyone's talking about--that dress doesn't make you look like a hooker!"-- Xander
(=

Talli Roland said...

Brilliant haiku! I love haikus. Great answers to the meme, too. I love to learn more about my fellow bloggers!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

*waves at Laraine*

Stephanie: Isn't it just awesome? From the simple question what could we do to help, they did that!!!

Anne: I'd love to have you as a neighbor. Wouldn't that be cool--a writers colony in the trees.

Hi sarahjayne!

Shelley: The door would always be open. Tea, too.

Tessa; Yay! Enjoy all the awards and chocolate you can get.

Jojomama: bwahahahahaha! Okay, we've got game:
"Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn't mean at the same time!"--Giles

Talli: Thank you, my dear. We can be haiku mates. :D

Sherrie Petersen said...

Oooh, I hope you become a billionaire!!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Sherrie: Me, too!! :D

Unknown said...

Excellent to do list! I hope you are successful on the writing front!!

OH and I hope you become a billionaire soon, I'm working on my WiP and look forward to submitting it to your publishing agency, lol!!

Love the linkage!

Anonymous said...

Tricia, I look forward to future blog posts from that treehouse in the Redwoods.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Jen: Hi, thanks for stopping in! It would be so fun to help people get published, wouldn't it?

Paul: Oh, I would promise lots of photos from my stellar vantage point.

Phoenix said...

Thank you so much for all the kindness, for sending some more cool bloggers my way, and for being all-around awesome with your lovely comments.

I humbly accept my rule-breaking, string free award and will be bragging about it in a few days!

Also, if we're gonna get all Buffy-quotey:

"How do you get to be renowned? I mean, like, do you have to be 'nowned' first?"

"Yes, first there is the painful nowning process."

Love it!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yay, Phoenix! And hahahahahaha! I never get enough Buffy--best written show ever.
Willow: "Carpe diem. You told me that once."
Buffy: "Fish of the day?"
Willow: "Not carp. Carpe. It means seize the day."
Buffy: "Right...I think we're going to..seize it. Once you get to a certain point, then seizing is sort of inevitable."