Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The week that was

I'm back from my writing-retreat vacation. Well, I did do some writing, and had one excellent world-building idea. But I had a problem with my neck, which made typing on my laptop painful. The good news is it was gorgeous where I was, so I will share the pretty.
Dragon kelp! Really, doesn't it look like a dragon's wide open jaws and slithery body?

Here are some thoughts that came that day as I walked to the far end of the pier:

Birds, white and silent,skim the placid jade-green sea.
From shore, a muffled thud and whoosh.
Farther out,sea lions take to sun bathing and barking from their flat-topped rock.

Storm coming. Actually there were several rain events, but they came in spurts (ha) that allowed for walks and awe.
From a underpass. Makes me feel like an explorer coming into a secret land.

Swinging at the end of the day. And, yes, I found a moment when kids weren't on the swings to pump myself into flight.

A bright splash along a dune.

Have I said lately how much I love walking by the ocean? I do. I do.

As for the writing (rewriting a novel), all that rest and rejuvenation (I had two massages and a facial!) combined with my neck getting better has resulted in three chapters rewritten since I got back.

I wish everyone such a holiday. And, I hope you find a place that makes corned beef pizza (with mustard) and another that whips up dark chocolate crepes. *grins*




15 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

What an ideal vacation/writing retreat! The dragon kelp would make a gorgeous book cover...thinking ahead.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a wonderful time - glad your neck is better though - that's hard!

Yvonne Osborne said...

I love that picture you took from the underpass. Makes me think of something from Canery Row. (Don't know why.) I agree, that dragon kelp pic would make a great cover! Glad you had a vacation and dark chocolate is good for us!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Sarah: I like the way you look ahead! :D

Jemi: The vacation really helped my neck, which acts up a lot (I've had two whiplash accidents in my life and they did a number on my neck).

Yvonne: I got the strangest otherworldly sensation under there--kind of exciting and spooky.
I survive by chocolate. ;)

storyqueen said...

Corned Beef pizza--I don't--I can't--no words--really?

Strange food aside, I am so glad you had a great retreat. You'll have it the way you want it in no time! (Or even if it takes a little time...so what? The best part of writing is the writing!)

Take care,

Shelley

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Shelley: Really. It was pretty good, too. Slices of corned beef and onions with mustard in the sauce.
I feel like the slow boat, but if I get to port someday all will be good. ;)

Donna said...

Oops. My earlier comment didn't show up. These are absolutely lovely.

Faith Pray said...

I so love seeing your stunning photos juxtaposed with your well-worded posts. Beautiful! I'm glad the spine and muse are back up to snuff.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Thank you, Donna and Faith. I love seeing you drop by. :)

Yat-Yee said...

Must be writing retreat time!

Your photographs are breath-taking, as usual. So beautiful. And yes, I do see the dragon kelp. There is a picture book story in there for PB writers.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

*waves happily at Yat-Yee*

Yat-Yee said...

*waves back at Tricia and all the other friends here* Miss you guys!

Bish Denham said...

What lovely, lovely photos. When you take walks by the sea, you are taking them for me as well.

Send rain....

Stephanie Thornton said...

That dragon kelp is awesome! I hope your neck is better-that doesn't sound fun at all!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yat-Yee: I do so miss the 'old' days of blogging when there was a lot more interaction. But everyone got too busy with writing and life, I think.I like Twitter for quick thoughts and photos. Maybe I'll try Tumblr, too.

Bish: I always take them for you, too. ;)
And rain dance in progress...

Stephanie: I'm so tickled that everyone likes the dragon kelp. :D