Friday, November 30, 2018

Blood Water Paint


I knew nothing of Artemisia Gentileschi before I read Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough. I loved this beautiful, harrowing novel told in a combination of verse and prose.

This story based on a real life is more relevant than ever despite Artemisia living from 1593 to 1653. She struggled for recognition for her work and dignity in her life even though her father took credit for her paintings and her tutor raped her. Artemisia took her accusation to court and suffered terrible consequences.

And yet this is a story of perseverance and a belief in truth. Artemisia is bolstered by the stories her mother had told of the Biblical women Susanna and Judith. The stories were far different than the ones told by men about those women, and they instilled strength in Artemisia for all she would do.

This is a story of perspective both in painting and in life.

I highly recommend this extraordinary book.

4 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

Wow. Thanks for this recommendation. It sounds so interesting and I've never heard of it. Makes me wonder about all the unread books out there waiting to be discovered by the likes of me.

Thanks Tricia. Hope all is well!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Hi Yvonne. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the number of books in the world, knowing I can't read by a fraction. But better than having a dearth of books, right?

Yvonne Osborne said...

Absolutely!

Jenn Jilks said...

It sounds like a powerful book.