Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Peter S. Beagle!



My friend and writing buddy, Donna Kennedy, and I are going to see Peter S. Beagle tomorrow, and we are quite giddy. Here you see Donna wearing her creation for crazy-hat day at our writers critique group. All the little attachments represent a shapeshifting kid in one of her works-in-progress. Alas, she will probably not wear her hat to see Beagle. But plenty of magic is likely to ensue anyway.

If you have never read Beagle, rectify at once! I promise not to shout anymore. But Neil Gaiman calls his stories "jewels." Just about everybody calls "The Last Unicorn" a classic and now an anime version is coming and a sequel, "Two Hearts." My fav is one of the most bizarre takes on werewolves ever written: "Farrell and Lila the Werewolf." Lila's got this problem, you see, she goes into heat in her wolfish form and creates havoc for her boyfriend.

I hope to take notes and post them for you. If you are in SoCal, it is at 7 p.m.
Thursday Pfau Library, CalState San Bernardino.

5 comments:

Donna said...

If you haven't tried Peter S. Beagle, his novel TAMSIN is a fine ghost story. One of my favorite short stories is "Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros." The rhinoceros is scintillating company, given his knowledge of philosophy, but he does splash a lot in the bathtub. Donna

J said...

Hi Pat, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one wondering if people will ever find my blog Happy blogging

Stephanie of the Saturday group

rilla said...

nice hat, donna! i love the shape-changing. hope the two of you have a wonderful time with beagle. do come back with tales ;)

gayle said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Pat/Tricia! :) I was so happy to see your comment on my blog--thank you so much for that. What a treat to see Donna here, too--I love the hat! Have a wonderful time at the event tonight...I wish I could join you both!

xoxo
gayle

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Hi Gayle/Rilla/Stephanie and Donna,
Thanks so much for stopping by. Please come see me regularly. I promise to keep the sandbox clean and full of toys. Pat