Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Behind the secret door


I like mysterious doors. I guess it's my need to wonder at the possibilities of what may dwell beyond. Anyway, I owe an answer to all you fabulous people who tried to guess the one truth in my last post's pack of lies.
More mystery awaits me, because tomorrow I have a jury summons, which means I have no idea if I may spend days in a courtroom in my near future. So I thought I best renounce my lies, tell the truth and post my big reveal now.
I was Astounded. Amused. Awestruck. that so many people thought it was #4, that I was forgotten in a medical examination room and the staff went home. I figured that y'all would think that one was an urban legend. I know I've imagined it could happen, and maybe it has to some poor soul. But not to me.
Nor was it #2. As a reporter I interviewed many people, some of them famous. But never Tiger Woods.
Although I surfed a bit years ago, I've never been to Fiji. I can't speed read and don't want to, since I love to linger over words. I've had several close encounters with rattlesnakes but never had one strike at me--although one did strike at my car! And, it grieves me to say, I do not have a secret agent. There would be fanfare, believe me.
So that leaves, *drum roll,* the African lion! Yup, roared right in my face. I was at a wild animal compound, and this particular male adult had a smooshed sort of face that reminded me of the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz. The lion was behind a chain link fence, resting on a ledge. Silly me, I knelt down and put my camera close to the fence so I could get a shot through an opening in the wire. But I didn't notice the dead chicken just a couple of feet on the other side of the fence. He made a stupendous leap, landing upon his dinner and roaring his immense displeasure. If you have never been close to that sound, all I can say is it knocked me over.

27 comments:

Donna said...

You fooled me. I went for the speed-reading. The trouble is, all of them sounded possible, knowing you.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Have fun on jury duty- I got dismissed when I was called, even though I want to be on a jury one day.

I loved the lies- very fun!

Unknown said...

Fooled me too!

By the way, I simply love your writing style - and secret doors :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh I guessed the Lion! I think I guessed the lion anyway. I'm pretty sure I did. Hey, it was yesterday, it's amazing I remembered there was a lion.

Bish Denham said...

Wow! I think that would have scared all my bodily fluids right out of me!

Liza said...

I'm glad I was wrong...although the lion would have taken a few years off my life. Good luck with jury duty. I've been called three times, picked twice; one was a murder trial. Someday I suppose I could use some of that in my writing...serving is a fascinating experience...though the murder case was about as sad as it gets.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Donna: Oh, my. I read a lot but, yikes, never that much. And, yes, all these things have a shred of truth.

Stephanie: I made it as far as being seated in the jury box once before the defense lawyer decided not to choose me. It was a violent crime, so I'm glad I was released.

Wendy: Thank you! I've started photographing secret doors and intriguing stairs. I like the possibilities.

Wen!!! You did indeed guess correctly. I laughed when I read your comment. :D

Bish: Darn close! I really did scoot backwards like a cartoon character.

Liza: It was a truly heart-thumping moment.
Oh, that trial sounds awful. I'm so sensitive, I don't know if I'm capable of a gruesome trial. I am absolutely sure you can find ways to use what you experienced in writing.

Linda Kage said...

Number One!?

Inever would've guessed! Cool. Scary, but cool.

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, nothing better than a mysterious door. The Secret Garden was the book that got me hooked on reading!

Laurel Garver said...

That's awesome. I think what's so effective in your convincing fictions is the *details.* Hmm, yes, must watch and learn.

Tess said...

oh, me too! me too! I have a real fascination with cool, mysterious doors. In fact, I took an old door and put it between my kitchen and laundry room (found it at a flea market). It has old hardware, amber glass ... my favorite part of my house.

And, my kids joke that it's appropriate since the laundryroom really CAN be a scary place at times ;)

Anonymous said...

Scary but funny too. I'm sure you'll never forget that one. :O)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Linda: Oh, scary, but, in memory, way cool.

Corey: Yay! A fellow secret door admirer. I've started watching for them.

Laurel: I enjoyed the details. It felt like writing fiction, which, of course, much of it was.

Tess: Another yay! I'd love to see that door. It sounds fabulous.

Welcome, Diane! No way I'm forgetting. It's quite forged in memory.

Everybody: Okay, I'll check in later. Now, it's off to the courthouse.

Unknown said...

I love mysterious doors too, and paths for the same reason!

Wow! Thank heaven for the fence, huh? I actually have been left forgotten in a Dr's office before. It only took the nurses about 45m after putting me in there to come by and tell me the Dr had forgotten me and went home, but still! It's kind of funny now!

Julie Dao said...

Ooooh scary!!! I also guessed that it was the doctor's office ... either that one or the secret agent :) The lion experience sounded terrifying!

TatteredSpinner said...

I love that picture!

VR Barkowski said...

Well done, Tricia! I never even considered the lion, although I did go for the Tiger. :)

The photograph is awesome! I do so love doors.

Tamika: said...

Great post Tricia!

I have something for you over at my place.

Jemi Fraser said...

That would be amazing!! What an experience! :)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience! Thanks for spilling the beans on the truth.

And, that is a very cool photo!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Nisa: Well, without the fence, I would never have been there. I can't imagine encountering a lion or tiger in the wild.
Oh, my! Well I'm glad there was at least a nurse still there. Good heavens.

Julia: It definitely was a heart thumping moment.

TS: Thank you!

VR: Lions or tigers or bears-oh my. You're guess was within the possibility of my former life, for sure. And thank you!

Thanks, Tamika! I'll be over.

Jemi: It was one for the books, or maybe A Book.....

Paul: 'Twas amazing. And thanks!

And to Anybody Wondering: I survived a veeeery long day at the courthouse but was released.

kah said...

That's one big cat! Don't think I'd want one that close to my face. Fun guessing your truth though.

Love the door! Have you seen the tiny fairy doors you put along the floorboard of your house? They're so cute. I want them all!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Tiny fairy doors for floorboards??? No, I've never seen them. *rushes off to google*

PJ Hoover said...

You crack me up, Tricia! And I love the secret door. Scary on the lion!

MG Higgins said...

That must have been terrifying! I bet the chain link didn't seem too substantial as the lion roared at you.

Robyn Campbell said...

Er, really I guessed the lion. Just didn't wanna act all big and stuff. Yeah. Uh, truth, yeah. Really. *grin*

sanjeet said...

Have fun on jury duty- I got dismissed when I was called, even though I want to be on a jury one day.
data entry india