Sunday, March 21, 2010

The sea calls

From here you can hear the hollow bark-barking of sea lions coming from that tiny rock in the ocean. You see it? The sun poking a hole through the clouds has illuminated it, for the moment, in a spotlight.
There is a trail that runs parallel to the railroad tracks south of San Clemente's pier and sometimes the trains come while you walk. First, they hoot and toot to warn the unwary off the tracks. Then they clatter and rattle and whoosh in passing. Through the windows you see holiday travelers on their way to any number of beach cities or commuters who prefer to avoid the infamous Southern California freeways. I like to look in the windows and wonder who they are, and I'm sure those who gaze out are thinking how grand it would be to be walking along the shore like me.

There is a strange phenomenon that occurs along a stretch of sandstone cliffs, eroded by wind and water and topped by bushes and trees and lots of houses with Spanish-style tile roofs.

As you pass them, the waves swooshing to shore and back on the other side of the railroad tracks get caught in some magical alternate space so that the echo of their swish and roar seems to come from the cliffs themselves.

This is a beautiful and magical place. And I get to go there this week for awhile. I'm going to inhale salt air and watch the sun sink into the sea and eat chowder. I'm also going to work on finishing my novel, Sea Daughters, which is partly set here.

So, my friends, I expect to be unplugged this week. I don't even know if I will check e-mail. We shall see where the magic takes me. See you after awhile!

30 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

Beautiful pictures. This looks like a magical place, indeed. Enjoy your time off and good luck with the writing. :)

Karen Denise said...

Wow, Tricia! That is breathtaking. I'm so glad you said you were writing something set there because that needs to be capture in more ways than in person, and through pictures. Someone needs to write about it, film a movie there, sketch it and do an oil painting-lol. Can you tell I'm jealous-lol. Enjoy!

storyqueen said...

The perfect place to finish it!

Wishing you all the words you need....not too many, not too few.

(I am thinking the first photo would make a great cover.....just sayin')

Shelley

VR Barkowski said...

Ravishing photographs. Best of luck with finishing Sea Daughters. You've chosen the perfect location.

Liza said...

Any time by the ocean inspires. Enjoy your writing. Good luck!

Liza

Yvonne Osborne said...

If I couldn't live in the middle of the Great Lakes, I would want to live by the Pacific Ocean, on your side of the continent. And I love trains. Hopefully, we'll get more lines and high speed soon.

Beautifully written, but then why would I ever expect less of you? Good luck on the wrap-up of your novel and enjoy week. Isn't writing grand?

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Sarah: Mmm, yes, magic. I'm looking forward to a splash of that.

Karen: Ha! I shall try hard to write good about it. ;)

Shelley: Thanks and now I'm staring at the photo and envisioning my cover! The power of positive thinking and just the right number of words. :D

VR: Oh, thank you, friend. I'm excited on many levels about this trip.

Thanks, Liza!

Yvonne: *blushes* Thank you so much! And, yes, writing is grand. I've got great hopes for this week.

Jackee said...

Beautiful! Have a great (and productive) trip.

Jemi Fraser said...

Beautiful! Enjoy and have fun writing :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun! Will miss you :) Good luck with the writing, I'm sure being there will really help.

Donna said...

Wow! You even managed to show us height in the sea cliff. May you and Hallie have a wondrous time.

Char said...

enjoy the magic!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

A big thanks to Jackee, Jemi, Wen, Donna and Char. I'm leaving soon for magic of all sorts.

Unknown said...

It appears by the pics you're going to be in writers heaven!

All the best with, Sea Daughters.

Enjoy :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful place to write. Best wishes :o)

kah said...

It does sound magical. So glad to hear you're working on Sea Daughters. ;) Happy unplugging.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Gorgeous pictures, as always. Enjoy being unplugged!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. Your writing inspires me. You have a beautiful, poetic style.

Have a wonderful time away.

Robyn Campbell said...

Wow. Truly wonderful post. Beautifully choreographed. So inhale the air, watch the sun and eat yummy chowder. I'll be with you in spirit. So talk to me, will ya?

I have a place in the Keys like this. Not too many people know about it.

Don't leave the orange marmalade at home. I'll have to have some at our breakfasts we share.

I'm unplugging for a short time, Pat. I want to make sure all is ready when I query in a couple weeks. You know, sparkling query, synopsis, and all of that.I will miss you. But at least we will get to watch creation together this week. I'm right next to you. Let's talk. (^_^)

Claire Dawn said...

Beautiful! I hope you enjoy being unplugged and don't find yourself cravign the internet, like I did this weekend. :(

Julie Dao said...

Sounds like a heavenly place to go unplugged :) I envy you!! The sea is a magical place for inspiration.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Sounds lovely. Enjoy!

Yvonne Osborne said...

When you get back from your magical place I have something waiting for you over at my place. Hope your week is productive!

Paul Greci said...

Beautiful post, the language and photos. Have a great week!

MG Higgins said...

Enjoy your time away. What a wonderful place!

* said...

The chowder, waves, and Sea Daughters novel sounds divine. Write away!! Enjoy unpluggedness!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

sounds so nice.

dolorah said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. My sister and I are planning a trip to the ocean this summer. One of our favorite spots - Ft Bragg, CA. Just relaxing, getting to know each other again.

Your vivid imagery brings me so much closer to a vacation date.

......dhole

Megan Frances Abrahams said...

Lyrical and evocative! Beautiful photos too. Best of luck completing Sea Daughters. And you're right about lighting a fire to ignite the writing. Thanks for the thoughtful comment on my blog.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Everyone! Thank you all for these lovely comments--such a warm homecoming to read them.