Friday, December 24, 2010

Peace after the flood





On this Christmas Eve, I'm so grateful for the good in the world. My heart goes out to those who lost their homes or loved ones in the recent deluge of storms in California and other states. And my gratitude to those who worked in the driving rain to save homes and lives.


*

I was fortunate to only spring a leak in my home office, which I hope will soon be repaired without further damage. For me, this has been mostly inconvenient, but for others the clean-up will go on through the holidays.
It's hard to be happy in the midst of devastation, whether it's your own or someone else's, but all any of us can do is go forward and work for a brighter tomorrow.
*




On several walks after the rain stopped, I found a wondrous world where waterfalls and ponds appeared and disappeared, where snowy egrets by the dozens came to perch in trees above newly-flooded ground and a banquet of fish.




For many of us abundance is all around. I am humbled again by what the world offers us.


*

*




Whatever your beliefs or customs, my wish for you all is joy, friendship, comfort and, above all, peace.
*








Happy holidays.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

To you as well. Peace and Joy.

VR Barkowski said...

Your post is a beautiful reminder of how fortunate we are. Thank you.

Wishing you holiday filled with joy.

storyqueen said...

We were also fortunate to only have to patch three leaks and fight a battle with the ants. As much as I hate those little blighters, I am grateful. It could have been so much worse.

Happy Christmas to you, my dear friend.

Shelley

Angela Ackerman said...

Beautiful shots, Pat! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Angela @ the Bookshelf Muse

Unknown said...

A timely reminder of just how very lucky we are.

Merry Christmas to you, Tricia, and your family.

Look forward to catching up again next year x

Anne Gallagher said...

Peace and Joy to you this holiday season.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Merry Christmas, Tricia.
I'm glad you fared well. The poorest one of us is richer than 98% of the world.

Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

This post pulled at my heart. Happy holidays, Tricia.

Donna said...

Happy New Year. Thanks for another year of thoughtful posts and lovely pictures.

Liza said...

I'm glad your damage was minor, and I wish you peace and happy mermaid stories in 2011.

Robyn Campbell said...

Pat, love these beautiful shots. I've been in a hole and just came out to see our foot of snow. Floods? I didn't know. So very sorry, my friend, but very thankful you are okay and didn't have any damage. (Besides the home office leak.)

Love to you, my friend. May we have a HAPPILY agented new year.

The Words Crafter said...

A very beautiful and touching reminder, thank you!

Julie Dao said...

Beautiful words, beautiful pictures. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season with your family, Tricia. Happy New Year!

Sherrie Petersen said...

It's almost midnight and the rain just started up again here in Solvang. I love the rain. It's just such a shame that the very thing we need so much of often brings death and destruction with it. I'm glad your damage wasn't major!