Thursday, January 19, 2012

Finding solace & haiku





Oh, the aloe is on fire! Isn't this one a show-stopper? Just around the corner from our house in Venice is a gorgeous, Craftsman-style house, surrounded by aloes. The home belonged to the late Jerry Leiber, who wrote the lyrics for classic hits like "Hound Dog," Jailhouse Rock," "Kansas City," "Smokey Joe's Cafe" and tons more.



When he was still living, I was delighted to see him at the grand piano when I strolled past one day.



Walking, photographing and musing are some of my favorite things to do as you no doubt have noticed on this blog.


*

*


You've probably also noticed how often I post beach photos. I can't help myself. Walking along shorelines is one of the places I find solace. I love the murmur of small tides, the rush of booming high surf, watching kids race in or surfers tear up a wave.



And then there are the things I find. This time it's just the way the late afternoon light was shining through a piece of kelp.

*

sliver of stained glass

caught by the descending sun--

window to the sea


*

*


Finally, I may be absent a lot in coming weeks. My mother broke her hip and isn't responding quickly to rehab. I not only need to keep an eye on her, but I may need to find long-term care, which is daunting. Meanwhile, I have a week vacation coming, luckily near where she is, so I will be trying to work on my manuscript, as well.

As soon as things settle down, I'll post less sporadically and come visiting you, as well. In the meantime, I wish you all well in writing, publishing or wherever you are at the moment. Peace.

18 comments:

Dawn Ius said...

I spent a week looking after my stepdad who had a stroke, and can attest to how difficult it is to write while caring for someone - even if all you're doing is hanging out at the hospital. Best of luck to you, and a speedy recovery to your mom!

Tere Kirkland said...

I love your beach photos, please post more if you have the time. ;)

Sorry to hear about your mom, but I know she's in good hands!

Donna said...

Love your window to the sea. ... I do hope you're able to write on your week away.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Dawn: It is so draining to sit around a hospital, which is exactly what I've been doing. This post and its haiku is the first thing I've written since this began. But I'm hoping next week I will wrangle some time for some serious work on my novel.

Tere: :D It does make me smile that you like my picture ramblings.
My mom is in a good rehab place so I think I can take some time to write. I need it soooooo badly.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Donna: I love that the sea gives me these windows. :)

J.B. Chicoine said...

I didn't know aloe bloomed! How cool is that!

And one of the biggest joys of being an artist is noticing light in even the smallest ways, like how it illuminates a bit of kelp. Thanks for sharing these, and all the best to you as you deal with your mother's situation.
Peace...

Erin Kane Spock said...

Blogging can be great
inspired or soul sucking hell
breaks often needed

Phoenix said...

Here's hoping your mom has a quick recovery. Sorry to hear about the broken hip. And enjoy your vacation, don't worry about blogging! (Says the girl who posts maybe once every 45 days now.)

Beach photos are always so gorgeous and make me want to head down to the shore myself. When it gets a bit warmer here in LA, I might just do that :)

Liza said...

I hope your mother improves. I too, love the beach and need it.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Bridget: There is a botanic garden I used to visit that had a whole hillside in aloe. When it bloomed it was an unbelievable riot of color. I, too, love watching the change of light and the beauty it can create.

Erin: Ha! Well, I say take a break if it ever becomes soul-sucking!

Tracy: Thank you. I believe we need to enjoy blogging, not let it stress us. So I'm just as glad to wait for one of your posts until you're ready. :)

Liza: Yes, 'need' is the word. I do need it in my life to refresh, cleanse, uplift, all sorts of helpful things.

Jemi Fraser said...

I hope things go well with your mom. Broken hips can be pretty darn tough. I'll be sending tons of good thoughts your way. *hugs*

Wen Baragrey said...

I hope your mom is doing better really soon. I can totally relate on the sitting around in a hospital bit. Take care of yourself too and your writing will spring forth when it's ready! :)

I just love your photos :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Thank you so much, Jemi and Wen!

LynNerdKelley said...

Beautiful aloe! Wow! That photo of the kelp is cool, and the poem is lovely. Gosh, I hope your mother's condition improves and she can get back to her regular routine and avoid long-term care. Take care of yourself, too.

Faith Pray said...

Hope and health for your mother. Peace and long, deep drinks of writing for you. I'm so glad for your blog, with its beach and haikus and writerly wisdom.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I hope your mother's recovery goes better. I'm sending happy thoughts your way.

On a side note, I had no idea aloe bloomed like that. I suppose that comes from living in Alaska--the only aloe I ever see is already in a bottle in the grocery store!

Susan R. Mills said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm sorry about your mom. I hope your break is good for both of you.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Lynn: I fear my mother is going need long-term care. So far, she's pretty slow at getting up and around.
I'm trying to take time for myself this week. *fingers crossed*

Faith: Oh, thank you so much for those sweet words!

Stephanie: Aloes are "hot" when they bloom, for sure. :)

Susan: Thank you!