Sunday, July 26, 2009

Contest challenge

I seem to be up for challenges lately. So I plunged in when Suzanne at Tales of Extraordinary Ordinariness asked her readers to write a short story using the opening line "It all started with a fortune cookie" and the closer "The roses bloomed in Orkney."
First, I considered a humorous story of a guy shanghaied and ending up pressing shirts in a steamy laundry, then a cookie factory where he pens personal messages. But I went for a relationship-driven story instead. There are so many amazing stories that have been submitted, you really can enjoy yourself by dropping in for a visit. The entries prove that if you give a bunch of writers the same prompt, you will get vastly different stories. The human brain is a magnificent thing.
If you read this post Sunday, there is still time to enter and possibly win Suzanne's great prize.

4 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, good for you! I'll head right over there to read it.

Tess said...

I'll have to pop over and check it out. I am so lousy at impromptu writing and don't get a lot of joy out of writing short stories, so passed on that contest. It looked like fun, though and I'm interested to see what others have written.

PJ Hoover said...

How fun! I'm headed to bed so I'll just deal with reading others!

Robyn Campbell said...

Tricia, I'll head over and read yours. I'm reading this on Monday. And anyway, like Tess I'm lousy at that sort of thing. Good luck! :)