Friday, July 17, 2009

Need a hand, Sisyphus?



This morning found my back aching, eyes blurry and brain fuzzy after writing 5,000 words yesterday. I felt a bit like Sisyphus facing the boulder. But am I sorry? No way.

I stumbled up my local mountain trail at 6 a.m. looking at a sky blue as a robin's egg and strewn with wispy clouds. I had to push a bit to make myself climb uphill, just like I did to keep writing, but the reward was a clear head, a refreshed body.

My reward for yesterday is three solid chapters of rewrite. I looked at it this morning, and it rocks--very little to toss. I'll find out soon enough if my crit buddies agree, but I'm feeling very positive. I learned from the experience that I can do much more than I thought, even what seems impossible. I'm not saying I would do marathon writing as a practice, but every once in awhile it serves a function. It's invigorating and shakes up the status quo.

Thanks to all of you who cheered me on. I owe you a cool drink someday.

9 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I LOVE your positive attitude! It rocks!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Ah, shucks. Thanks, PJ!

Yat-Yee said...

It's great to read a post so infused with enthusiasm. I think some of your positive attitude has rubbed off on me.

kah said...

You rock. Literally. :) Way to go Tricia.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yat-Yee & Karen--Wow, thanks you guys. You made my day. I'm writing more this morning, still feeling the energy :)

Stephanie, PQW said...

Go Pat, go!

MG Higgins said...

Wow, 5,000 words in a day is tremendous! Good work. (I'll have a margarita, please. On the rocks, of course.)

Donna said...

Tricia: I wonder if your ability to write good stuff fast is due, in part, to all the wild and crazy deadlines you met in your past life as a journalist.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Thanks, Stephanie and Melissa!

Donna--I'm sure the importance of deadlines is imprinted on me forever by my former life. Wild and crazy it was. You are quite right.